Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bottle Cap Robots

One of my favorite creative things to do is to combine several challenges to create one card. My only problem is making the deadlines, as I tend to overthink these sorts of projects!
I just had to try this week's PaperWorks Co. (PWCO) Sunday Sketch; I liked the idea of making a "skinny" card. Then I saw the Circles Challenge at Cards for Men, and decided it was the perfect opportunity to use my new $1 circle-background stamp. Hmm, I always forget how difficult it is to line up rubber stamps...the border took me a few tries. Of course I wanted to heat-emboss it, so I stamped it in watermark ink, which meant that it was also invisible, which didn't help the lining-up problem.

Somewhere in there I discovered the Bottletops Challenge at Crafty Cardmakers (love the new look, ladies!) and decided it was fate: a chance to use some of those bottlecaps I save! I pulled three bronze-and-black caps (Monteith's beer...I don't remember when we had that! Luckily I'm very good at popping off tops without bending the cap; I never manage to buy screw-off tops!) and worked around that color scheme.

To pop the images, I cut up a cork (one of those non-cork plastic ones, which which like a dream), and glued it in after putting a hole in the cap with my Crop-O-Dile punch. Because I like things to move, I included brads so that the caps move together like gears.

I made this card with my best friend from college in mind; his favorite color is orange, and I've found that it always makes a good "splash" color.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration: I had tons of fun making this!

Inspiration:
Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight Challenge: Bottletops
Cards for Men Challenge #9: Circles
PWCO Challenge: Sunday Sketch #79

Supplies: StudioG rubber stamps, Stampendous embossing powder, Versamark watermark ink, Marvy heat tool, MS detailing scissors, Recollections cardstock, ZipDry glue

6 comments:

  1. So smart and CREATIVE... Brilliant! Simply brilliant! Impressive to say the least... perfect card for a man. Thanks for sharing!

    xxx Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool card! Thanks for joining us at Cards for Men.

    -Wenche

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great circle card. Thanks for joining us over at Cards for Men and good luck in the challenge.

    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is fabulous. The bottle caps are absolutely perfect for your circle inspired creation.

    Spot on embossing there. Until I read through your post I thought they were peel offs as they are perfect and shiney!

    Thanks for joining in with our challenging Spotlight over at Crafty Cardmakders Spotlight blog.

    Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great use of the bottle toops on your project.Thanks for taking part in Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever idea- going to have to try the bottle cap idea sometime. Thanks for joining CFM for our circles challenge- good luck!
    Hugs, Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.